as the people saunter by

10.12.2014

via pinterest 
Oh, the joy of being an ice cream clerk! I've never been one, of course--but it must be absolutely glorious to watch hours tick by while inhaling the heavenly, sweet aromas and simply watching.

Today, I sat at a table at Baskin Robbins, slowly licking my double scoop (coconut, pineapple and caramel, if you're wondering), and simply watched people walk in and out. Someone may call that boring, but to me, it's quite the opposite.

There are the regulars-- who walk in, go "single scoop, mint chocolate chip, waffle cone," pay, and leave. (These people tend to be on the "larger" side, if you will.)

Others saunter in, spend minutes staring at the glass cases full of caramel, chocolate, and sherbet, then leisurely ask for ten different trial spoons.

Then there are always the children who wail for a "small" as opposed to a "kid's size," and the stubborn parents who sternly place an order over the desperate cries.

I have a preoccupation with watching people. For instance, I could probably sit for hours at the entrance of a museum in Paris-- or another glorified touristy location-- and simply watch the people go by. Or, better yet, at an airport. I love clothes, hair, and foreign accents. Poetic descriptions would pop into my head and disappear as fast as they came.

People are so fascinating. You can tell so many things by the way the walk (are their backs hunched over? do they walk tall and quickly? or do they keep looking over their shoulder, absentminded, dreamy?) and the way they talk-- of course, there are the all-betraying accents, but do they talk loudly and confidently? Someone who seems shy may just be a true genius.

Human beings will never fail to intrigue me. That's the psychologist's spirit. 

5 comments :

  1. This is so true. People are very interesting to watch and I wouldn't find this boring at all. Just think though, what if someone is watching you? They're wondering what kind of person you are. They're thinking, 'Hey. That girl likes watching people too.'

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture is making my drool.. like a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That picture would make anybody drool :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, you described what I do so well! ;) I live watching people. As a write to me it is just countless chatter and story ideas whizzing by. And to think how each person has lived a whole life, with disappointments, struggles, joys, etc etc just like us. I mean, it's obviously that way, but when you really think about it, it's just amazing. =)

    ReplyDelete

go on, make my day. ❤