musical memories

10.26.2014


The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.

Each and every piece of music that's currently populating my iTunes library holds some sort of memory to me. 

Sometimes, the spaces between staccato notes are brimming with tears-- and other times, suppressed joy. Happy songs are sad, and sad songs are happy.

Books are like flypaper—memories cling to the printed page better than anything else.

For me, the music is the flypaper.

For instance, Canon in D is a heartbreaking, unspoken tale of rejection-- but Capriccio Espagnol is pure joy and unadulterated bliss. Window to the Past brings back melancholy memories of a week-long vacation to Florida, and of the death of Sirius Black (for my iPod was playing this on repeat as I reread Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. So sad, yet beautiful.)

Carmen Suite No. 1 reminds me of home; Brahms' 1st Symphony reminds me of school.

That's just the way it is. For you, it may seem insane-- but there's a story for each crescendo, clearly written out in my head. 

Cited, in order: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart & Inkheart, by Cornelia Funke. Oh, marvelous Goodreads.

4 comments :

  1. your so right about music holding memories, great idea for a post

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful post Arushee!
    Music consists of so many different emotions... that's why I love my music so much<3
    June
    The Journeys of My Beating Heart

    ReplyDelete

go on, make my day. ❤