about writer's block, and not overcoming it

11.22.2014


Today, I've been cursed with a terrible case of writer's block. I have switched through exactly eleven draft posts, finishing none.

I've been trying to jog my imagination for about five hours-- and although I pulled every bit of inspiration out of this post, it came to no avail.

I'm not writing this post because I feel an obligation to publish something. I just feel as if I haven't really exposed the stumped side of me on this blog, and I just wanted to talk about being "un-inspired," for once.

I've tried everything. Trust me, the random name and word generators each generated about fifty words today. I even registered with a website called one word, which is supposed to help you overcome writer's block. (I ditched that site after learning that it publishes everything you write publicly.)

After going through almost all 162 of my drafts, I did something that I rarely do: I pulled out a little piece that I wrote for school. Although it still has no story and no direction, I did patch it up a bit, and now I have a bit of a starting point for a short story I'm working on.

I'm interested to know about some of your own experiences with writer's block, and how you overcome it. Do you just write, even if everything that comes out sucks? Or are you more like me, and sit there, ripping your hair out, deleting one imperfect sentence after another?

13 comments :

  1. hmm, I guess when it's for my blog, if I don't have anything to write, I don't write. For school, it's a little harder though, with deadlines ;) So the way I overcome writer's block there is to just start writing. I usually get about a page before things start to come together. Then I open a new document and start over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such an interesting technique! Perhaps I'll try it next time I can't write.

      Delete
  2. You know you can post other stuff..stuff you like..eg. your sketches, any photographs you clicked, your experience or something like that..it might even give inspiration you are looking for right now :D

    Neal Kind
    Daily Diaries

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the advice, Neal! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

      Delete
  3. I hate writers block! Its so hard to get inspired sometimes!

    Paige xx
    Skin & Roses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely is! I'm glad you agree, Paige.

      Delete
  4. If it's for my blog--well, I don't post anything until I come up with an idea for something to post about. But when it comes to stories and getting blocked, I just accept the fact that what I will write will be horrible. And then, bam, I'm able to write. Even if it's terrible (which it isn't always), it can always be edited, and it will get the words flowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's awesome that you're able to do that, Rebekah. I'm a total perfectionist, though, and I just cannot write unless I'm sure that it's going to turn out good. :(

      Delete
  5. When I can't write, I always just start writing (like others have said). I find that I get writer's block when I am trying to create a perfect draft...but if I just get everything out and then edit later, I feel much more free. I just have to release the pressure of creating something good. Even if I write out a bulleted list of points that don't connect, I can then make something out of it.

    Adia // Adia Sinead

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am definitely most like you. Anyways, looking back at some of your old posts is really great, because it shows just how far you've come! <3
    ~ Sanjana
    www.peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

go on, make my day. ❤