before bed

11.12.2014

 


A few days ago, I decided to add the first "ritual" to my newly-organized life. This is one of those before-bed rituals that everyone seems to follow. 

It's far from those romanticized, insomnia-fueling, fashion-centered routines that so many "pretty women" follow. I am not an extremely photogenic person, neither do I own a single designer nightgown. This cow-print footsie will suffice.




Although its lack of screen is quite the hindrance during the day, my red iPod shuffle is quite a joy when it's under the covers. It may be dubbed "lame," or the whole thing utterly "useless" and a waste of money--

-- but it turns off and on and plays and pauses and shuffles and unshuffles. What more could you want? And something about the big, circular "Play" button isn't like any iPhone. 


Nighttime erases my hormone-induced craving for throaty, loud Christmas-themed pop music, and I go back to my beloved 25 Ballet Favorites

At night, each little nuance of Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy is endlessly fascinating: from the pizzicato of the violins to when the bassoon comes in and when it cuts off. 

The dulcet dance of the clarinet is a lot more beautiful at 10 PM. So are the soft riffs of the duet flutes. The harmony, fully saturated with heavy sleep, is so much more than harmony. 

...and some twenty minutes later, drunk with sleep, and my eyelids drooping, I pull out the earbuds, unsteadily reach out toward the bedside table, and place down the red treasure.

Sweet dreams!

8 comments :

  1. This sounds amazing. Listening to the sugarplum princess as you're falling asleep... mmmm.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite a divine feeling.
      (And it's a fairy-- not a princess. That's the classical music Nazi in me. Sorry!)

      Delete
  2. I just saw a comment you posted on my blog- you are SO sweet, Arushee! I appreciated it so much!
    I'm scrolling through your blog posts now and girlie, you are simply divine with words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much! I absolutely love words-- they're endlessly fascinating.

      Delete
  3. I love listening to music before my bed...especially in the morning to start my day on a good note!
    Thanks for commenting on my blog! I am definitely going to add you to the list of blogs I read!
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love listening to music before bed, and even when I can't sleep at night.
    Ipod shuffles are great! I used to own one and I used to for years (before it broke down). I've never truly moved on from it. There's something about it's simpleness that I love it for. My currant ipod isn't very grand either. It's one of those super old ones. It can hold about ten albums and that's it. I think it's one of the originals. I love it though. Even though it's scratch and doesn't like playing for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, iPod shuffles are the best. I'm glad you can relate! :)

      Delete

go on, make my day. ❤