being grateful

11.24.2014

my photo.
We have so much to be grateful for.

We all own one, or two, or a million pretty things. There are those perfectly fitting dresses and their requisite, non-HD mirror selfies. Antique music boxes with their tinny little tunes. Homemade birthday cards complete with watercolor illustrations. Heads full of flawless ringlets. Handcrafted, delicate china cups.

Allow me to abandon the superficiality of "pretty things" for a while. There's that relieving moment when the plane finally lands. The taste of toasted marshmallows, straight from the depths of a musty campfire. Wooden chimes that play the most beautiful melodies at the slightest breeze. My oboe, which I maintain a severe love-hate relationship with. I also couldn't resist throwing this one in. 

And even when it feels as if all is lost, we have ourselves. Our aspirations and dreams simply cannot be taken away from us.

If that isn't enough, there is a side to it all that's practically tangible. We can always look up, and the cotton-candy clouds are waiting for us, utterly and completely still.

There are the stars and the moon and the sun--
--and so many more examples of loyal luminescence.

Need I say more? Life is just really, really beautiful.

Here's to another splendid year to be thankful for-- and many, many more.

22 comments :

  1. Life is really beautiful-- and we should thank it.

    Vanshi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we really should. Thank you for commenting, Vanshi!

      Delete
  2. I agree, life is truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true. There is so much that the Lord has blessed me with, and I am so thankful! Happy Thanksgiving, dear. :)
    -Ashley
    thriftytoppings@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do have a lot to be thankful for! Thank you for this good reminder and blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog! I followed you. :) Amazing photo; where did you take it? I always decide to go out one day and take pictures of the sky the whole day, but I never do. Oh well. Thanks for commenting on my blog! It means a lot. :)
    Aliah

    thisandthatbyaliah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aliah! I took this photo in Goa.

      Delete
  6. I know that I have got all the best, but being grateful s not always the easiest... thx for sharing!
    xoxo
    Anja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. Thank you for stopping by, Anja!

      Delete
  7. OH, there is sooo much to be thankful for! :) I love how we celebrate Thanksgiving because I think it is a good refresher that there are so many beautiful things to be thankful for in life! I love how you said that our dreams can never be taken away from us! I love how you said that.
    -Lauren <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you agree, Lauren! Thank you so much.

      Delete
  8. Such a beautiful post.we really do have a lot to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and inspirational post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, oh so true.

    Life is truly beautiful. It's great to have people like you to appreciate life itself. :)

    Naturally Jes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it certainly is. Thank you so much, Jes!

      Delete
  11. mmmm i love this post so much. Being thankful is such an important virtue! x

    ReplyDelete

go on, make my day. ❤