about writing, and about hair

1.06.2015

My bangs have decided to develop an utterly invincible curl that irks me far more than it should. It is extremely exasperating to have a head full of straight hair and then a hook that refuses to stop sticking out of your scalp at a ninety degree angle. (Especially when nothing, and I mean nothing, can tame it. Even my flat iron -- at its highest temperature -- can’t do the job.)

*

I have lately found myself slipping into the style of other authors I read. It is both a curse and a blessing. It is nice to read a piece by Charles Dickens and find my vocabulary immediately elevated and my sentences dripping with archaic phrases. I read a poem by Emily Dickinson, and all of a sudden, my work is overflowing with sentence fragments and dashes. I love reading a witty book by Gordon Korman, then feeling my mind overflow with a million creative ideas. (Note: If you haven’t read Ungifted, go buy yourself a copy. Now.)

*

Old books, old voices, old movies, old TV shows, old blogs. I have fallen head over heels in love with things that are old. “Edelweiss” is stuck in an infinite loop, and it isn't coming out of it.

*

And I am finding it just a little harder to choose content for my blog. Although words flow from my fingers and into the keys as fast as they used to, I find myself met with a desire to get comments and feedback. But things are shifting. I have ceased to worry about whether specific people I know will like what I write. I am going to settle with however many pageviews and comments I get. And that is one of my most important resolutions for this year: write what I want to write. Tell my story, in my personal way.

And I am excited to continue sharing my journey with you all.

40 comments :

  1. That is why I make comics :D
    It makes my stuff different :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the woes of bangs. When I was little, my bangs were extremely thick...and when I say thick I mean like two-three inches thick. Oh, it was so horrid! After waiting and waiting for them to grow out (I had to put my bangs into little horn pigtails to keep them out of my face) my vexatious bangs returned to the length of my other hair. The nightmare of those bangs still haunts me to this very day. ;)

    Goodness, you are such an amazing writer. Even in this post, as you talk about your life, your writing is so enchanting and beautiful. I truly look forward to more of your writing! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bangs. They ARE so exasperating sometimes, aren't they?

      Thank you so much, Eve! I look forward to sharing more of my writing, too :)

      Delete
  3. You do you boo. Whatever you write I find myself engrossed in it. I've shamefully never read Charles Dickens or Emily Dickinson but I'd love to read their writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragement! You should definitely read them -- they are two of my favorite writers :)

      Delete
  4. this is a fun post! I love the photo, too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah Grace! I'm so happy you like the photo x

      Delete
  5. YES! That is SO TRUE! I try to not post something too personal,but not boring which is a lot of work!
    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you can relate, Emily! It is quite a bit of work

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to see all of the posts that you post this year, and don't be afraid to be unique in your own way :)
    -Lauren <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Lauren! I really appreciate your words xx

      Delete
  7. aww, your writing is truly captivating. even in such a normal post, the way your words flow is so magnificent. i hope 2015 holds great things for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much, Autumn! That is so sweet. Wishing the same for you xx

      Delete
  8. Hi Arushee, I read some of your other posts, you're a promising writer. Have fun writing. Writing is a little adventure; where it takes you is a surprise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Dian! That is very encouraging :) xx

      Delete
  9. Oh gosh, my hair does that too. I'm due for a trim!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahah Good luck with your bangs :b :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh, bangs! I understand it, too. Some days, I clip my bangs back, but they only last in place for several hours. Hope you can get back to writing fluidly again. ^.^

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  12. A pretty post <3 I'm not a fan of old things, but they certainly make you sound very educated.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cool!! The pic is amazing!
    Grace x♥x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I just stumbled upon your blog and just wanted to say you have a really nice blog and you are a great writer. (:

    Tabitha
    tabasaur.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey! thank you so much for stopping by xx

      Delete
  15. oh, girl, bangs are the most annoying things. But they're ever so cute and stylish, I just can't get myself to grow them out. They are the cross I must bear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, I couldn't have put it better! :)

      Delete
  16. you are an awesome writer arushee! one of the many reasons I have nominated you for the sisterhood of the world blogger award! see my blog for detailsx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I actually don't do most awards/tags at the moment, but I am honored that you decided to nominate me! xx

      Delete
  17. At the moment I'm wondering whether I should get a new haircut and get bangs but I'm not sure! Your writing is amazing, by the way. And I enjoyed reading every post of yours so far. x

    SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE ALICE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much, Hannie! I am so glad you enjoy reading my posts :)

      Delete
  18. I've never had bangs, I don't think I'd look that great with them. I'm sure you look fine, even with a little curl :)

    Sometimes it's so hard to think of something to blog about…when I started blogging it was easy, but now…now so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -- I'm so happy you agree! It was SO much easier to blog when I started.

      Delete

go on, make my day. ❤