fiction fridays, part one

1.23.2015


The bookstore down the street was anything but contemporary. There were no rubberized chairs but instead wooden stools that had been scattered among the aisles like Easter eggs through wet grass. I often made a game of speed-walking down the hallways, searching for that perfect seat. Today's spot was a cozy little nook lit by two adjacent windows. 

There were no computer catalogs, book signings, or free WiFi, as other bookstores of the century commonly boasted. There were no cash registers: in their place stood a middle-aged woman with long blonde hair that was braided down her back. Each number she tapped into her rickety calculator gave a resounding "clack" that broke the religious silence of the small store.

Finding a book to read was a bit of a struggle, for the shelves were lined with a fine layer of dust. Each book required a sharp shake to rid it of any accumulated cobwebby residue.

I couldn't help but visualize myself in her place -- my short blonde hair grown out, a few golden bracelets on my arms. Just twenty more years, and I could take her job. Perhaps I would grow up to be a cat lady after all.

But for now, I was still young enough to be fangirling over old books. (I much preferred books to male actors. Perhaps I could join this ramshackle store in its rebellion against time.) The copy I held now was a 1960s printing of L. M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables that delighted me to no end.

I closed my eyes and inhaled. But its usual mustiness was overpowered by a more delicate scent. It smelled of October.

Anne's influence was stronger than ever. I sighed happily and flipped open the book.

--

"Fiction Fridays" is a blog series adapted from here. If you decide to join me in this project, feel free to send me a link down below! I'd love to see it. xx

41 comments :

  1. Oooh this is such a good idea, I would love to do it. And oh my gosh you are an amazing writer,this was just amazing, your language is just brilliant and I can visualize all your descriptions perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you SO much for your sweet comment! I am so happy to hear that :)

      Delete
  2. You are an amazing writer!
    I love your descriptions and your words flow amazingly!
    ~Emily
    oh and I might do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should definitely do it, I'd love to see your posts!

      Delete
  3. I adore this Series! Reading your fiction is always a joy. Keep it up lovely!

    xx Danica

    www.dustparticlesblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! This writing is so beautiful, I just don't even know what to say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an amazing writer, Arushee. AMAZING. Your words are just so put together and beautiful. I could really visualize myself in there :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this means so much to me! I am so happy you liked it :)

      Delete
  6. That was totally awesome, Arushee!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. I fall in love with your writing over and over again xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LIKE. Your writing, it's breathtakingly realistic and relatable at the same time. You go girl <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Arushee, you're so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I just nominate your for the Liebster Blog Award in one of my post http://basalmostwonderland.blogspot.mx/2015/01/liebster-award.html. I think you're running a great blog! I hope you can check it and participate in the fun! Greetings!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the nomination! I'm not doing tags/awards at the moment, but I really appreciate this!

      Delete
  11. You're such a talented writer Arushee :)
    http://saltskinned.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  12. I nominated you for an award!
    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't do awards/tags, but thank you!

      Delete
  13. i love this. i adore old bookstores, old libraries. the smell of the old books. this make me longing to visit one. thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mmm I love all of the same things. Thank you <3

      Delete
  14. Yay for people who also prefer books over male actors!! But, seriously, this was gorgeous and I loved every single word of it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. IT SMELLED OF OCTOBER. ^_^ You just made my day, thank you for that reference :) :)

    Chloe | Curious Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, you're welcome! Anne IS the best :)

      Delete
  16. <3 I love Anne. Beautiful post.

    Also I nominated you for the You Are Amazing and So Is Your Blog Award, you can view my post here:
    http://bethanysbrightlife.blogspot.com -Bethany!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Bethany! I actually don't do tags/awards, thank you though!! :)

      Delete
  17. oooh, I like this. felt like I was there for a minute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thank you!! I'm so glad you felt that way

      Delete
  18. brilliant writing!! the way you capture the essence of a thought in words is absolutely marvellous!! keep it up!! :)

    ReplyDelete

go on, make my day. ❤