bits and pieces

3.15.2015

My state of equilibrium in these almost-summery months: arms and legs unleashed by means of shorts and a tank top, hair damp, lights dimmed, fan on full blast, murder mystery halfway-perused.


*

It’s hard to write about a book that you’re reading. Especially if you’re reading a cold-blooded murder mystery. The words inside your head depart and are replaced with a handful of Agatha Christie’s. Your mind grows full of sour pregnancies that somehow result in strangled fetuses and savaged-minded children who decide to kill their own grandfathers.

I’ve always found the notion of “cozy murder mysteries” utterly laughable until I tried a few of them myself. “Cozy” is the perfect word. There’s something - something - about being in a world of serial killers that results in a good-sized amount of catharsis. It’s hard to describe how it feels without sounding wholly sadistic. In truth, it’s kind of entertaining. Fun, almost.

Maybe the words of this post will now unravel and you will see a mere thirteen-year-old who has taken a liking to stories about crime. Or perhaps you now think I’m a death-loving freak. I’ll leave it to you.

(But seriously, if you’re interested, try Endless Night or And There Were None. They’re absolutely marvelous. Disturbing, but marvelous.)

*

I have re-discovered the glory of Pinterest. The concept is quite simple -- a database packed with photos, complete with a way to save and organize them. It isn’t exactly groundbreaking. I wouldn’t call it addictive, either. But there’s something beautiful -- therapeutic, almost, about scrolling through pages and pages of pretty pictures. Who knew how many photos of hair one website can hold?

I’m at imarushee if any of you are wondering. As always, I wouldn’t mind a follow. :)

*

I don’t know whether it’s just me, but I find myself falling into and out of love with various blogs. This week it has been Shake, Rattle, and Ramble -- I can never resist the captivating combination of fabulous writing and photos. And a snarky tongue never hurts.

*

There is nothing nicer then having a song that instantly makes you happy. I think music is the second-best drug. It’s a close runner up to words. If you’ve been a reader of my blog for a while, you’re probably quite tired of hearing about Hawaii, so I’ll keep the small talk to a minimum. Any mention of that paradise makes me insanely happy. Ukeleles are high on the list of smile-inducing sounds. You may recognize this from last week’s vlog, but at the moment Kawika is on repeat.What are some of your feel-good songs? Leave me a link, maybe. I’d love to hear them!



P.S. I did a reader survey a while back, but it won’t hurt to do a little impromptu one now. What do you all like to read on this little blog of mine? What kind of posts do you prefer? I’d love to know.

26 comments :

  1. Just a question... where did you get such an amazing vocabulary at the age of 13!?? And I've never really read a murder mystery of those sorts, but maybe I should.

    -M
    The Life of Little Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I think the best way to develop your vocabulary is to read other well-written books/articles/blog posts as much as possible :)

      Delete
  2. I love murder mysteries! I'll have to look at the ones you've recommended. I love The Murder of Rodger Ackroyed by Agatha Christie or The Hound Of the Baskervilles by Sherlock Holmes.
    As for what you post, I enjoy everything you post. Specifically, the videos you make. I love your blog!
    ~Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I loved The Hound of The Baskervilles, but I've yet to try The Murder of Rodger Ackroyd. And thank you :) xx

      Delete
  3. omgosh. I love Agatha Christies!!! The Murder By Roger Ackroyd was my favorite, but Endless Night & And Then There Were None were both huge favorites. I'm so glad I'm not the only one in love with Agatha Christies!! xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to read these books! I am intrigued! I have always just stuck with the Nancy Drews:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely try them -- they're a lot of fun to read :)

      Delete
  5. I adore Agatha Christie! She's a wonderful writer! And Then There Were None is a fantastic book. My personal favorites are Death on the Nile and A Caribbean Mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly is! I'll definitely try the books you recommended. :)

      Delete
  6. you writing is flawlessness, I say. Amazing post ♥ I agree, music is amazing and quite healing if I do say so myself. And Pinterest - ah, sweet Pinterest. I've spent many a hour on there <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Cozy murder mysteries"
    Mhmm. I know exactly what you're talking about. I honestly used to question my sanity when I found pleasure in reading such books. But oh well. At least when I'm walking home at night I stay away from ANYTHING that could be a possible murder scene because my imagination has been fuelled by all those books. Usually resulting in me taking longer to reach home because I avoid all those shortcuts. Oh well. At least I'm being safe ;)

    That was a ramble (sorry haha). Lovely, lovely post! xxx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds JUST like me -- sometimes these books end up terrifying me. Thank you!! xx

      Delete
  8. Murder series intrigue me a lot. At first, they used to terrify me, but I have gotten used to them. And isn't Pinterest amazing? I don't have an account but I use my friend's sometimes and it's so great.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've just about gotten used to them, too. Pinterest sure is amazing! xoxo

      Delete
  9. Cozy murder mysteries. Never heard it before, but sounds exactly like my kind of thing haha
    "music is the second-best drug" Amen to that.
    Your writing is really good :)

    -nymisha at this is nymisha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, you should definitely give them a try! Thank you so much, Nymisha!!

      Delete
  10. Wow!
    Honestly, Arushee, your vocabulary is amazing, as is your maturity at 13. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jordy! I really appreciate that :)

      Delete
  11. Your vocabulary is more advanced than my English teacher. What?!

    Yeah, I am jusy getting into murder mysteries myself. You should check out the Garvie Smith series. It's brilliant.

    I love your blog by the way! ♡ Great design and your posts are flawless. I would be honoured if you would like to check out my blog maybe? Leave a little comment maybe? Thanks so so much!
    www.blindeyesoftheworld.blogspot.com
    There's the link ^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, that's so flattering :) I'll make sure to look into that series! And thank you, I'll definitely check out yours.

      Delete
  12. Arushee, try some of my favorite mystery authors: Tana French and the truly 'cozy' Louise Penny. Your prose as always is very evocative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check them out! Thank you very much :)

      Delete
  13. Thank you for introducing me to Agatha Christie books last summer (another reason you're my best friend!). You're the best.

    ReplyDelete

go on, make my day. ❤